Wednesday, May 20, 2009

24, Season 2: Right on Target


I know I've been posting a lot recently, but that's what happens when I have a lot to say and am sitting in front of a keyboard.
We just finished Season 2 of "24," and it totally kicked ass. I mean it was tight and superb. No Terri Bauer (thank heavens), which makes for a way better season.
The whole season was awesome, but I particularly like it when Jack draws his gun on regular citizens to threaten them and emphasize his point. For example, he is rushing the corral dude into the hospital, and the hospital staff starts shouting, "Sir you can't bring him in here like that!!! We are calling the police!!!" Jack draws his pistol points at the lady and screams: "Ma'am I AM THE POLICE NOW OPEN THAT DOOR!"
Awesome.
The second incident is when he and Sherri Palmer hijack an SUV after crashing in the aquaduct. Jack points his gun at the guy, demanding he hand over his keys. Once he does it, he says "Thank you" sincerely. I love it.
I am looking forward to Season 3. I can't wait. I also don't want to wait to save up enough money to purchase an HK MSG90A1, pictured above. How cool would that be?
One of these days. Maybe.
Peace Out,
--Nick-Dog

5 comments:

Ry Guy said...

I thought seasons 2 and 3 were the strongest. 4 and 5 are worth watching, but they are starting to run out of steam.

Season 6 starts out with four episodes that make you think it's gonna be awesome and then lets you down for 20 hours that are just a complete plotless mess.

Nick-dog said...

***Sigh***

I was afraid some of the other season would not live up to the awesomeness that is Season 2.

Hopefully, they won't be as bad as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Did you watch Season 7? Any thoughts?

--Nick-Dog

Ry Guy said...

Yeah, season 7 just ended and I'm thinking I might not even bother next year with season 8.

The fun of "24" comes from putting Jack in a situation where he's got hundreds of lives at stake and a five minute deadline to save them. Then you watch the outrageous crap Jack pulls to get results. Like that scene where he tells Mason to get him a hacksaw, and you're like, "CAN YOU BELIEVE JACK JUST DID THAT S***?!"

(N.B.: It would be terrible if it was real life, but since it's only a fictional TV show, it's awesome.)

Unfortunately, the PC Police have gotten to Jack so now he has to be mopey about all the awesome torture that he's ever inflicted on terrorists. He's still beating up bad guys for information, but it's pretty uninspired ("This man knows some information; I'll punch him for a little bit until he tells me") and then he has to go do all this soul-searching afterward. Kinda weak.

The one thing that does get better as the series goes on is Jack's hair: no more frosted tips!

Martin Schap said...

That's a nice rifle. I watched episode 1 of seaon 1 as part of a class I was taking when the show came out, but never got into it after that. Maybe I should give it another try.

Nick-dog said...

Ryan--I was thinking exactly the same thing about the hacksaw scene. Clare and I just looked at each other wide eyed, like what the hell did he just say????

Martin--Yes, awesome gun. But for me Jack makes every gun look cool. I think that's a nice talent to have.