Monday, April 25, 2011

Investing in Life

Today, like yesterday, was a magnificent day. Picture perfect by every measure.

I took an offroad adventure to McDonald's Mill in Strasburg, Va., to secure 12 bundles of slab wood. I mentioned this before in a previous post, but had no luck getting a call back. I figured if I showed up in a muddy Jeep and work boots to place my order, it would show that I am serious about my purchase and have the opportunity to prove that I am in fact a worthy candidate and ok to do business with.

Out here that's generally the way with most of my fellow blue collar, local folk. They say yes, but don't deliver the goods until you prove that you are respectful and not a threat to their way of life. Since I've made this realization, life out here has gone much, much better. People here aren't Fairfaxian snob asses. They are real, basically good, but distrustful of folk they don't know until you prove them otherwise. I assume this is very much the way of the old south in this area. Every place has it's own distinct cultural norms. It's taken me a long time to figure this out, but now that I have, life seems to go smoother.

On my way back from errands, which brought me to Edinburgh, I decided to make my return home via Fort Valley through Edinburgh Gap. Fort Valley is a substantial valley within the valley that is the Shenandoah Valley, occupying the northern part of the region and splitting it into thirds.

Fort Valley is the locale George Washington was going to use as a bug out location if the Revolutionary War saw another winter. It's easy to see why. The relatively narrow valley is fertile, has multiple fresh water sources flowing into cedar creek, and mountains surrounding it on virtually every side and a long narrow gorge at the main entrance. It could be easily defended by a disciplined force and when you are there it seems like the farthest place from anywhere except Eden. Yes, it's breathtaking.

The ascent up the mountain through the gap was glorious, as it followed alongside creek beds making their way down into the valleys on either side. Because of the recent substantial rains, the views include numerous little waterfalls here and there and the top, I discovered has a couple ATV trails.

After a bit of exploring I returned home by way of the Fort's main road, enjoying prime mountain views and spring breezes while making good time in the process.

Arriving back at home and seeing the newly cut grass was refreshing. While cutting it on Saturday I thanked God for being able to live here and prayed that I would never have to leave. And that brings me to the title of today's post.

When you are investing in your life, planning for the long term by establishing roots and making moves to be somewhere permeneantly it changes your vision and how you feel about a place. For example, our new wood floors and furniture have made us feel that we have a new lease on life and that we are here again for the first time. The house also feels more complete and what is more, we all enjoy being here even more. As things continue to take shape, I am feeling more and more connected to my property, the land and dwellings that inhabit it. I hope that in the years to come it will become a place that my children and their children will cherish and always find peace and prosperity here.

So, even though the world spirals into oblivion, I pray that this place remains and develops as God wants it to be: God's Country.

Over and Out,

--Nick-Dog

No comments: