Thursday, January 14, 2010

Poised to Strike

What's up, peeps?

Sorry for the lack of consistent updates, but as I intimated in previous posts, I've been hella busy. I have had my shoulder to the wheel since the beginning of the year and "have filled the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds of distance run." So you'll excuse me, I hope, if I am temporarily inconsistent with my ramblings.

I have spoken with some of you about the need to be prepared, here and there. Preparedness is about being centered and stable, not being a bunker-dweller. I realize that sometimes I may come off as the latter, but in my own mind, I consider preparedness is a lifestyle that acknowledges that the S can HTF at any moment, and it's best to be as ready as possible.

The key to handling any conflict is awareness: Knowing your enemy before he knows you. Seeing conflicts and conflict patterns before they happen. Going with your gut and making calculated decisions based on your intel and an honest/realistic assessment of all situations. This is hyper-dramatic sounding, perhaps, but the art of staying safe and protecting your kiester isn't magic. It's a skill, and it's something that has to be consciously developed and practiced on daily basis over time.

Being prepared is about developing good habits that will aid you in a crisis situation. If the S has already HTF and you're running to the store to fill your cupboards and gun safe, you're too late. On an individual level, it's about putting your gun on and off the same way every time. It's about being organized personally, so that if the alarm sounds in the middle of the night, you are already in the best possible position to handle that situation: your boots, car keys, clothes for the next day, gun(s), and every day carry items are at the foot of your bed, ready to go. In 60 seconds, you have all of your absolutely essential shit already there and you aren't caught off-guard. You are in a position to help yourself and others.

On a national level, it's about seeing the interdependence of the numerous systems we rely on to live our daily lives, and knowing that if any of those systems fail signficantly or goes away, our own lives and those around us will be severely impacted. With the present administration and state of affairs in the world, the crisis looms large, but all is not lost.

I have so much to say on being prepared. It's been on mind since I made my first gun purchase in Sept. 2008. What can really happen? Where is our country headed? What can be done? Am I ready to handle a crisis event in my own life? And so on. Yet there are many who say it better, or articulate my own thoughts.

I don't know what the future will hold. My gut tells me the roller coaster has only just started, and that it's best to have one's shit together sooner rather than later. Check out the www.thesurvivalpodcast.com if you are looking for ideas to do just that. I am scrambling to put life on the homestead in order myself, but honestly I need to do that anyway, whether or not the SHTF.

Peace Out,

--Nick-Dog

2 comments:

Martin Schap said...

It is excellent to know people like yourself who take their preps seriously albeit sans tinfoil hat. Reading these posts keeps me focused and motivated. An excellent book that I think you will really enjoy is "One Second After" by William Forstchen. Annie's mom passed it to me after reading it. It's a post SHTF novel about a small N.C. town in the year following a devastating EMP strike. Well done, carefully thought out and will totally motivate you to do what needs to be done to ensure your family's safety in such a scenario.

Nick-dog said...

Thanks for the props and the recommedation, Martin. I've heard good things about "One Second After" but have always questioned the source. I will be checking it out sometime, now that you've recommended it.

--Nick-Dog