Sunday, June 28, 2009

Screw the Jar!

Well, this weekend, after visiting Front Royal's new trendy farmers' market on Main Street, I decided to check out the pawn shop across the way for a cheap .22 LR. When I saw the solid looking Marlin Model 80 for $75 (sans clip--I'll have to order one) I couldn't pass on the deal. It just felt right, and that's all I needed to know.

This means I'll have to pass on my allowance for a little while, but so many shooters and homesteaders believe that this handy gun is an essential piece of equipment for everyday country living, I couldn't miss the opportunity to purchase the little Marlin.

After cleaning the gun and firing plenty of rounds, I was feeling strong and decided to bring out my Remington 700 SPS chambered in .300 WSM for the first time. After shooting the .22, the SPS felt like a cannon. After the first shot, I learned real fast that this weapon is presently well-beyond my abilities as a shooter. I now have major respect for large caliber weaponry.

That being said, a whole new world of shooting has opened up for me with that gun, albeit an expensive world. Until I mount a decent scope on it, I will hold off on firing it. It's $2.00 a round for the .300 WSM. For $6, I can purchase 100 rounds of .22 LR, which makes the .22 even more exciting to fire. That, and it's less like to piss off the neighbors.

No comments: