Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Carpetbagged

Sorry I missed you all on Monday, but I decided to take a hiatus and attend to other matters...like watching HGTV and reading Drudge.

Now that our depature from the Olde Dominion is pretty much imminent, I have been fiendishly taking every opportunity I can to re-immerse myself in the Civil War and become more personally aquainted with those many places in our state that have become historical markers of that great event.

This past Sunday, Clare and I visted Chancellorsville battlefield. I always thought Chancellorville was a town, but not so. It was a plantation owned by the Chancellors at an intersection where the battle took place.

I can't fully express how completely pumped I was to visit the battlefield, free visitor's center, and take as much of the driving tour we could fit in before mass, but I was thrilled. For years, I have slowly but surely been gaining a sort of topographical appreciation for Virginia and the events that took place here. It was the Civil War that first attracted me to this area, the Shenandoah Valley and then, finally, college.

I'm so grateful that I've been given the opportunity to live and be here. And you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be cramming as much of Virginia's heritage in as I can.

Over and out,

--Nick-Dog

No comments: