Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dog Walk Gone Awry...

Tonite I had an experience I do not want to repeat.

My new found four-legged friend and I took our nightly walk down to the fields near the small car dealership at the beginning of our road. There is a very large mowed field next to do the dealer that is perfect for staring at the sky or horizon. This evening the moon was out and shining bright.

We had just returned from our trip, so in justice to the dog who stayed behind, I took him on his normal jaunt after our initial return.

After staring at the moon a bit, it was time to turn around and make our way back. Ollie (that is our dog's name) however, gave me a look that said he wanted to go farther and so started trying to play with me. Harder than I'd like. When I met his resistance and tried to get him to stop in ways that had work before. He chose not to listen and baited me to challenge him more.

At this point, I felt my authority as master being challenged. There was a change in the air with him, one that I had not seen before. I was damn near about ready to release his leash and put a bullet in him. Thank God I had my gun. I basically always carry now. He is a huge dog and the little voice inside my head was starting to tell me to be afraid.

So before going that route, I tried the one thing I know that works on both animals and humans to regain control of the situation. I ignored him. This put him off me and he was instantly at attention and began walking like a normal dog again.

But the air had changed. He had openly challenged my authority, using violence as a possible way to get attention and possibly the upper hand. I know he is a dog. I have had dogs all my life, but none ever made me question my safety with them. This one did and now he will have a short trip to the pound.

The truth is, I had a dream several days ago in which there were 2 Ollies. And in one, I pulled my gun and put a bullet in him. This made me sad, and when I woke up, I shook it off, believing it be nothing.

But it wasn't. I was being warned that something was afoot. Sometimes God sends or allows a signal to be sent to us to prepare us for the road ahead. Thankfully, this isn't the first time I've been given a "heads up" on an issue. I just didn't want to see a problem here. But now I certainly do.

Among others, that lessons that stand out to me from this experience are carry a gun for your own personal protection and have multiple options, if possible, for dealing with any conflict. It makes me sick that I nearly had to shoot my own damn dog. And make no mistake, I would have unloaded the clip in him. It's just not something I would have ever wanted to do.

God Bless,

--Nick-Dog

No comments: