Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hitting the Reset Button



Time for a new post.

Last weekend was a supreme occasion for me. I woke up early Sunday morning, checked out Netflix and clicked on watching Conan the Destroyer. I haven't seen this movie in years, but it was a superb way to begin the day and, crazy as it may sound, put a whole bunch of things in perspective.

First, the movie. Arnold in his prime. The dude is massive and imposing, and the point is duly made throughout the film that he is the strongest mofoe anywhere. He's brutish and thugish and has no compunction lopping off heads at will. I love it. You just can't get this level of vintage brutality these days.

Many prefer Conan the Barbarian. Indeed, it is a more intense and dramatic film. The soundtrack is the arguably the greatest that has ever been produced for any movie at any time. And there's some wicked battle scenes. The Destroyer is good, nay, very good, but not quite the first film in all its epic originality. Some people call this stuff campy. I call it great.

"Time enough for the earth in the grave."

Watching this film was so much fun, I can't tell you. It was like hitting the reset button on my life. A little Conan puts it all into perspective. Seeing him blast that camel on the top of its head with a clenched hammer fist made everything feel better. I can't describe it any better than that.

"Oil the Sword. Feed the Horse." Words to live by, my friends.

Peace Out, Homies.

--Nick-Dog

2 comments:

Martin Schap said...

Great quote. I read somewhere that cowboys and trappers used to say that when you make camp for the night you see to your gun, your horse and then yourself. Words to live by. Also, I think I am now allowed to say congratulations.

Nick-dog said...

Hey, thanks for the congrats! I appreciate that and am looking forward to another kiddo running around driving us crazy.

I like the quote, too. One of the many I have memorized from the Conan movies. LOL.

--Nick-Dog