Sunday, December 06, 2009

157th Post

Can't believe I've put up that many, but I am glad that I have.

I skipped a week since I've been busting a move on an editing project I'm tackling. I am about 10 yards away from the goal line at this point, in the final minute of the game, but you know how long that takes. I am looking forward to finishing this behemoth because it will free me up for all the stuff in life that has been on the backburner.

Yesterday, we spotted a red fox bound through the yard as the snow continued to fall. It was awesome. Right outside our kitchen window and then *shoom*, off into the forest behind our shed. I'm sure he had lots of tricks up his sleeve. He was freakin beautiful. Not the kind of animal I'd want to shoot or hunt, just the kind I want to admire. I'll save the guns for the bobcats.

I've been obtaining a greater appreciation of the versatility of the shotgun lately. I think this comes from my reading at www.wethearmed.com, www.madogre.com, and Martin's Blog. (I know I should be working, but sometimes you need a break). You can just set them up in so many different ways to do a variety of things, including handle SHTF. Two Remington 870s and 2 Glocks and you have plenty of firepower and reliability to take care of most situations.

That's going to be my standard advice for SHTF gun questions and discussions from now on. Two and two. If you can't defend yourself with this stuff, you probably need to reevaluate your plan. I recall watching a video of an Arizona home-owner repelling 4-5 armed thugs, one of whom had an AR, with a shotgun. If you need more than that, you are probably defending the castle wall against an onslaught of zombies, or taking the castle.

Right now I am running a Maverick 88, which was given to me as a wedding present. It's a great gun, especially with the 18.5 in HD barrel. I have it set up with 2 3/4 00BK. It's not very tacticool, but I have 100% confidence in it's reliability. I'm considering purchasing another one for redundancy before buying some 870s. Having two of the exact same setup is a powerful way to go, IMO, and makes for a good armory.

Ok, over and out. I have work to do.

--Nick-Dog

6 comments:

Martin Schap said...

You are right on with your respect for the shotgun, and with the Glocks in 9mm for you and the wife. I have been craving a 9mm lately since I could afford to shoot it, and Annie could shoot it more comfortably than a 2.5# hand cannon. Have you considered a Mossberg 500 rather than another 88? Same or at least virtually indistinguishable manual of arms, but a step up in quality in terms of parts, finish and robust design. Not that there's anything wrong with the Maverick. I would buy one if I found the right deal, but for not much more money a 500 would be that much more reliable if SHTF. I know you really like the 870 platform, but the 500 passed the military torture test where the 870 did not. That action will *never* quit working, and that's what I want to know when I am up in the middle of the night investigating the sound of breaking glass.

Nick-dog said...

I like your take. You are making me think more about the Mossy 500. Personally, I would feel totally confident in either gun. At this point, it's more about budget than anything.

As far as handguns go, my wife hates the G17. Even after working the action and slicking it up, she does not feel comfortable with it. So I have been considering other options for a more female-friendly platform, or maybe some slipstream will do the trick. Any suggestions?

After another G17, my next goal for glocks will be two 3rd Gen G31s in .357 Sig, as well as two conversion barrels in .40 cal. I would like to step it up in terms of caliber in an auto for EDC, and 357 Sig is my first choice, given capacity, weight, and stopping power.

In addition, during the ammo shortage, .40 was the most commonly available handgun caliber available by me. Hence my reasoning for picking up the conversion barrels.

--Nick-Dog

Nick-dog said...

ETA: I think once I cocked the gun for her, my wife wouldn't dislike the G17 so much, but we will see.

--Nick-Dog

Nick-dog said...

Ok, so I went to Gander Mountain this evening after Church to compare the 870 to the 500. All things being equal in terms of options, the black 500 I picked up felt better on my shoulder than the 870.

Now, if only I could shoot both side by side, that would be something. As of the present moment, though, I am now leaning towards a tactical 500 with which to pair the Maverick.

Thanks for the advice. I look for any reason to go to (overpriced) Gander to walk among the guns and dream I am in Cabela's.

--Nick-Dog

--Nick-Dog

Martin Schap said...

If Clare doesn't like to work the slide on your Glock my best advice is a G34. The longer slide would be easier for her to work, and obviously the longer sight radius would make it easier for her to get hits. If it is the trigger pull or the size of the grip I don't know what to tell you except to take her to a range that does rentals. That is my plan for the day when Annie tells me she wants her own gun.

Nick-dog said...

That will be a good day.

--Nick-Dog